The Screwtape Letters

I went to see The Screwtape Letters tonight at the Mercury Theater in Chicago. Wow! It was basically the entire book. This man just recited a good portion of the whole book! It was very good...I was extremely impressed. The book this play was based on is one of my favorites and had (has) a huge spiritual impact on my life. If you're in the city...go see it before it leaves!


"The Christians describe the Enemy as one 'without whom Nothing is strong'. And Nothing is very strong: strong enough to steal away a man's best years not in sweet sins but in a dreary flickering of the mind over it knows not what and knows not why, in the gratification of curisoities so feeble that the man is only half aware of them, in drumming of fingers and kicking of heels, in whistling tunes that he does not likes, or in the long, dim labyrinth of reveries that have not even lust or ambition to give them a relish, but which, once chance association has started them, the creature is too weak and fuddled to shake off."
-The Screwtape Letters

Reading The Screwtape Letters almays makes me feel so aware of the evil that is in the world and the constant spiritual battle we are fighting. It also reminds me how constantly I fall to temptations of all kinds.

Comments

Popular Posts